Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A doctor's visit



A few weeks ago, we went to a kids’ club for the birthday party of one of Sophie’s friends. As paranoid as it sounds, I am trying to avoid crowded indoors these days, because it seems like everyone around us is sick with something ranging from a simple cold to a flu, or bronchitis. At the party the children were told to take their shoes off, which I thought right away was a bad idea since it was pretty cold inside the venue. Two days later, Sophie became sick with a cold. I was hoping it would go away in a few days, but it had actually got worse, so we had to go to the doctor. 

Sophie hanging out at home while sick last week
Sophie at her 1st doctor's appointment
We have been going to the same doctor since Sophie was one month old. He is the second doctor that we came to. The first doctor we saw wasn’t the right match for us. She promoted solely natural and organic lifestyle and child care. During our appointment, which lasted a good hour and a half, she told us about the risks and danger of vaccinations, baby formula and vitamins/supplements. In her opinion everything we ate and used at home was unhealthy and dangerous. She recommended I cook my own lotions, soaps and shampoos, which I knew right there I won’t be doing. Although we are not a solely organic family, we still try to eat healthy and stay away from household items that could potentially be harmful. I don’t have anything against healthy living as long as it doesn’t turn into an obsession. By the end of the appointment, I knew that we had to find another doctor. I remember walking out of her office feeling very confused and disappointed that none of the questions that I had for her were answered. She knew a lot about natural living and I got some good advice from her, but we never went back to her. 
Our current doctor has been recommended to us by several families whose opinion we trust. He is a very knowledgable older doctor, who addresses all my concerns before I even ask him questions, speaks fluent English, supports natural life style and treatment whenever possible, but trusts conventional medicine at the same time. I always walk out of his office feeling comfortable and knowing that my child is in good hands. 
We had our appointment with him last Tuesday and were told that Sophie has an ear infection. It’s her first. He sent us home recommending to use sea water nose spray and watch her fever. If the fever gets worse, we are to come back and get Sophie on antibiotics. Luckily it wasn’t necessary. Sophie is doing a lot better. 
Waiting room at the pediatrician's office 
Most private medical practices in Turkey are located in residential buildings. The doctors rent or buy large apartments, which they convert into a practice. It feels a little strange at first, but then you get used to it. A doctor’s visit at a private practice or at a private hospital costs between 200-300TL/Turkish Lira (approx. $115-$170). Most doctors accept private insurance. Overall I have been very happy with medical care in Istanbul. Almost all doctors that I’ve dealt with have been very knowledgable. Private hospitals are very well equipped. All my doctors here did their  residencies or PhDs at top medical schools and clinics in the US. The most common complaint about Turkish doctors that I keep hearing from expat community here is that Turkish doctors tend to overmedicate their patients and are quick to prescribe very serious medications. That’s not the experience I’ve had. In my case, the diagnoses have been accurate and prescribed treatments very effective. As I said before, we are very satisfied with medical care we have received here. 

A private hospital in Istanbul 


A doctor's office at a private hospital 
Waiting area at a private hospital



2 comments:

  1. Dear Elena! Glad to discover your blog! You've got yourself a follower )
    As for doctors, we are very happy with ours, he is a brilliant man and is always very helpful. Even our son loves to see him and patiently waits for another lollipop.
    Kisses for your little princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Firatpress, thank you for reading my blog! I'm glad you enjoyed it. We don't get a lollipop at our doctor:), but Sophie still likes going to him.:) It's so important to be comfortable with your doctor. Hugs and kisses to our son as well:) Thank you!

      Delete